PHP is one of the world’s most popular open source server-side scripting languages. Ideally, the design came into existence in 1994, by Rasmus Lerdorf, PHP has been developing since then, the leading Social Networking Sites, such as, Facebook, and world renowned organizations, such as, Harvard University, both have PHP-based systems. “PHP” is a recursive acronym, which stands for “Hypertext Pre-Processor”. It was earlier an acronym for “Personal Home Pages”. It is used for development of both Static and Dynamic Web Applications or Websites. It must be noted here that PHP scripting may interpret on PHP servers only. But client computers that access PHP scripts need just a web browser. The client applications do not need to have PHP installed. PHP can be embed in HTML pages. But PHP is a scripting language, which is used mostly for routine tasks, hence the necessity to embed it in other languages. A script is a programming instruction set which is interpreting at runtime. Programming languages require compilation before execution, but Scripting languages do not need compilation. No compiling is necessary to execute PHP, and this leads to high speed of operation. The large fan following of PHP by the community of Web Developers means that the benefits of the PHP programming language should be carefully studied as below.
The Benefits of PHP Programming Language is multifold, and some are enumerated below:
- PHP is Open Source, and is developed and maintained by a large community. Its powerful support base ensures problem solving on a continuous basis, as each member consciously attempts to participate in the process to upgrade and further develop applications.
- PHP is free of cost. It has flexible cross-platform capability. It can work across several major platforms like UNIX, Macintosh and Microsoft Windows.
- PHP has Syntax similarities with C and Java. Beginners who know either can easily master the basics of PHP, and start using and implementing PHP, in a short period of time.
- A large range of Data Bases which includes MySQL, MS Access, and Oracle, are supported by PHP. PHP is also capable of interacting with many other services which use protocols, such as, POP3, NNTP, SNMP, HTTP, LDAP, COM, and IMAP.
- PHP is a weakly-typed language and does not require explicit or clear statements of intent. This allows PHP to be extremely fast, flexible and practical.
- PHP is a highly efficient Web Language. This is because it functions with built-in URLs and HTML. Thus, it is able to access other web-based tools easily, such as, Google Maps.
- PHP can run on almost any available Web Server at any time. It has comprehensive library support on offer, such as, ‘GD Library’ and ‘Ming’. It also has extensions which provide extra functionality like Image Processing and Graphic Design.
- PHP can add dynamic content to Web Pages.
- Web Content Management System and Web Applications are the dominant areas under PHP.
- PHP 5.6.0 offers brand new features, such as, Variadic Functions, Contact Scalar Expressions, Function and Content Importing, Uploads of large file sizes and so on.
- PHP has easy Authentication System. Complex websites can be developed in a simple and hassle-free manner, which makes this an ideal solution for web owners around the world.
- PHP is a top-notch platform for sending in-app mails to people via a Cloud-base or a neighborhood service. This is executed through the renowned SwiftMailer Library.
- PHP is cross platform. All PHP based applications can run on various types of platforms. PHP can effortlessly integrate with Apache and MySQL, as well as Java. This results in enormous money saving on large applications.
- Since PHP is extensively used on the Internet, it needs to be able to connect to Data Bases quite often. For this purpose, PHP has a built-in module for ease of connection. This is the reason that, when Data-driven Websites are developed, there is great demand for PHP. PHP is therefore specially suited for efficient Data Base management systems.
- PHP does not require any intensive study of manuals to commence using and executing it. The names of the commands are so created that it is easy to understand the command functions. Even beginners who are familiar with C, can easily Code in PHP.
- One of the most important requirements of a Web Development Project is that it should not be time consuming. Much time is consumed by loading functions. People from across the world prefer fast loading websites. PHP has been found to be the fastest Programming Language of all. Again, on the subject of time, Programming Languages that take the shortest time to connect to Data Bases are always preferred. PHP performs these set of tasks faster than any other Scripting Language.
- Because PHP is Open Source, it is readily available and is also entirely free.